Aim of learning: to add or take away single digit numbers
How many players: 2 players
You will need: 2 dice (1-6) or for more able 2 dice ( one 1-6 and one 7-12)
- Decide on a target number together e.g. 32.
- Player 1 rolls the dice and adds them together (e.g. dice land on 4 and 4 so 4+4=8) and says the total- 8. This is the only time in the game when the dice are thrown.
- Player 2 is allowed to turn just one of the dice by turning the face once only- you do this by touching the edge and make it roll onto the next touching face only. If the dice has landed on a 4 (so the 4 is showing) player 2 can turn it on its edge- once -to a new number but it must be touching the 4 face (You cannot turn it over as much as you like- it has to be to an adjoining face.) They then add the new number to 8. So if you turn the dice to a 2 then you add 8 and 2 to make 10.
- Player 1 now looks at both dice and decides to turn one dice once. If it is turned onto a 5 then they add 5 to 10 to make 15.
- This keeps going until you start to get closer to your target number. Whoever turns the dice on their final move to the target number exactly wins. If a player goes over the target number then they lose.
- You will see the children suddenly get very interested in turning the dice when it gets closer to their target number.
Variation on game: Start at a number like 45, agree a target number- a single digit target number like 5 and play again but subtracting this time.