Learning aim of game: adding and subtracting numbers to 30 (or 20)
You will need: a number line up to 30 (can be made by children but spaced enough to place a counter on) and 2 dice, or a number line to 20 and 1 dice.
- (example below 2 dice and number line to 30)
- Place the counter on the middle number = 15
- Each player decides if they are going to add for the whole game or subtract – (take it in turns by playing twice)
- Player 1 throws both dice ( dice land on 5 and 4) adds the numbers together and counts on 9 from 15 to land on 24. Place counter on 24 (more able do it in one jump, less able move along 9 jumps to 24- good assessment opportunity).
- Player 2 throws the dice (dice land on 3 and 4) adds them together and jumps back 7 from 24 to land on 17. Place counter on 17.
- Player 1 throws (dice land on 6 and 5) adds them together and adds 11 to 17 to make 28. Place counter on 28.